Depending on the specific situation, there are a variety of products that are used to mitigate harmonics. Fusecoâ€™s Power Quality Consultants can assist by conducting a site analysis or simply providing advice based on the details of the particular electrical system. Here is a brief summary of the product groups:
Line (input) side of the VSD
- Line Reactors Simple & cost-effective method to reduce harmonics. Available in 3% & 5% versions.
- Passive Harmonic Filters Significantly reduces harmonics from the VSD back out to the system and also improves true power factor.
- Meets the IEEE519 Standard.
- Active Harmonic Filters Active filters inject a 180 degree inverse current to nullify the harmonic content going back out to the system. They mitigate harmonics, compensate for voltage dips & can handle multiple VSDâ€™s relative to the reactive power required. Meets the IEEE519 Standard.
Load (output) side of the VSD
- Load Reactors Simple & cost-effective method to reduce harmonics. Available in 3% & 5% versions.
- dV/dT Filters dV/dT filters have been designed to limit peak voltage and increase voltage rise time. In addition to mitigating harmonics, the dV/dT filter also clips voltage spikes.
- Sinewave Filters The ultimate load side harmonic mitigation product. Filters all harmonics, including reflective currents, eddy currents, common mode currents. Can be used for long cable runs (many kms). Stops the heating of cables. Great for the longevity of motors.